by Bobby Blair
The Holliston Historical Society occupies the Asa Whiting House and Barn also known as the George Flagg house.
The Society was formed in 1910 and made its quarters in the Burnap house located between the library and Fiske’s store. The Society moved to its present day location in 1967, the former building becoming the home to Al’s Resturant. The building was later torn down.
The Colonel Asa Whiting house was built in 1812. It was located closer to Washington Street in front of the present day barn and was moved to its present location in the 1930‘s. The barn itself was built in 1817. Today, caretakers' quarters fill a portion of the house. The rest of the space holds records, and is used for social functions. The barn, complete with kitchen and restrooms. is also used for functions.
While the aim of the Society is to study, collect and preserve local history, the organization also holds a living hands-on approach when it host its yearly 18th Century Days for 3rd graders. The HHS holds a Harvest Fair each Fall, and recently celebrated its quarter of a century mark with this local tradition.
Thumping Rock is located in the Braggville section off town near Adams Street and Dunster Road.
It has been rumored that this large flat rock lying upon another similar flat rock was a latter day cell phone used by the local Indians to signal each other. During the filming for the Seven Wonders by Cable 8’s Sticky Beakin crew, Town Historian Joanne Hulbert was unable to make the rock thump (or communicate). Co-Host Carl Damigella weighing a tad more than Hulbert had the rock singing. This only goes to show, maybe the Indians were on to something there.
Thumping Rock is far off the beaten track as evidenced by our lack of a photo.