At 8:01 AM on Friday,
June 29, the Holliston Fire Department responded to investigate a carbon
monoxide detector activation on Sparrow Lane. Upon arrival, Fire Chief
Michael Cassidy measured extremely high levels of carbon monoxide in the
basement with the department’s CO meter. The house was evacuated, and
NStar Gas was notified. “This is a perfect example of why carbon monoxide
detectors are required in Massachusetts,” explained Cassidy. Carbon monoxide
detectors have been required in the majority of residences in the state since
Nicole’s Law (MGL c.148, s 26F 1/2) went into effect on March 31, 2006.
“Unfortunately, there are still many residents who do not yet have the required
life safety equipment in their homes,” continued Cassidy. “The levels
were high enough that serious health effects would have developed within
minutes if the resident were not alerted to the danger and continued to be
exposed to the colorless and odorless gas” offered Cassidy. The source of
the carbon monoxide was determined to be a faulty hot water heater, which was
shut down and ordered to be replaced.